Skip to main content

Featured

Dementia and Home Care|What can we do from now on - Summary

  Dementia should be "cured," but it is difficult to do so. It's hard to do. In 2018, a wealthy American man has publicly announced that he will offer a "$400 million" prize to researchers who show a cure for Alzheimer's, yet there is still no answer to the question. https://nakamaaru.asahi.com/article/12074188 It will take another 10 years or more for the drug to go from practical use in the U.S. to being used in Japan. Japan, which lags behind in psychiatric care, still has a long way to go. What other measures should we take now? Facilities, Increase the number of dementia day services --------------------------------------------------------------------------- The usual "day service" under long-term care insurance is open to healthy people. There are two staff members and 40 to 50 residents. People from other municipalities can also come to the service. Day services for dementia are focused on "dementia" users. Four staff members are r

Medications used (prescription drugs) Dementia and home care


 

List of "dementia medications" prescribed by multiple doctors over 10 years




Yokukansan 2.5g


-Suppresses irritability and excitement

Chinese herbal medicine, no side effects but also no effect. I use several bags every day.




Wintamine (chlorpromazine phenolphthalein) 60mg


-Anxiolytic (schizophrenic) medicine

Fine granules (powdered medicine) prescribed by the Kouno method. No side effects, so I have been using it for a long time, but I don't feel any effect. I use it for comfort. I use 2 to 6 bags a day. I use 2-6 bags a day, 10 bags at most.




Contomin (chlorpromazine) 12.5mg


-Anti-anxiety (schizophrenia) medication.

A tablet version of Wintamine. I couldn't feel the effect either.




Donepezil hydrochloride (Aricept) 3mg-10mg

-Improvement of memory, inhibition of progression of dementia

The medication that the first doctor had given me, I continued to take for almost five years, but eventually, from the middle of the year, only "excitement" and "confusion" became stronger. I stopped using it on the advice of my Kouno Method doctor. I heard that some people have hurt their own faces with scissors by taking this.




Glamaril (thiapride) 25mg


-Anti-anxiety

The medicine that my first doctor gave me, I continued to take for almost 5 years, but stopped taking it on the advice of the Kouno Method. It was already ineffective at that time.




Nauzelin (domperidone) 10mg

-Medication to control nausea

I used it for the first few years, but stopped taking supplements and medications, especially since I didn't have any nausea.




Memary (memantine) 5mg

-Inhibition of dementia progression, sedation

Medication given after Donepezil, at the time I was comatose from the moment I took it as a tonic, but then I went into a pessimistic depression. After a while, I could no longer see any effect from taking it.




Risperdal (Risperidone) 0.5mg

-Anti-anxiety (schizophrenia) medication

It is prescribed as an abortive medication. I used both tablets and liquid, but I did not feel any effect at home or at the dementia day.





Reslin (Trazodone) 25mg


-Antidepressant, anti-anxiety, insomnia

I was prescribed to use it at night to help me sleep better, but it has no particular effect.




Zyprexa (olanzapine) 10mg


-Medication for hallucinations, delusions, manic depression (schizophrenia)

I was getting seizures at night when I was sleeping, and akathisia like things. I stopped because I could not see any effect only excitement.




Seroquel (Quetiapine) 12.5mg


-Medication for hallucinations and delusions (schizophrenia)

There was no noticeable effect as well. On the contrary, the excitement became stronger.




Aripiprazole (Abilify) 3mg


-Suppresses hallucinations and delusions

It was prescribed as an abortive medication for excitement, but I stopped taking it because it didn't make any difference and on the contrary it made me more excited.




Selenace (Haloperidol) 0.75mg


-Anti-anxiety, suppresses excitement

Medication recently given for kowtowing, no particular side effects, so I'm using it as a good luck charm, but I don't feel any effect.




Depakene (Valpro) 100mg


-Anti-epileptic, improvement of manic depression

There was a temporary "all-day calm" effect, but after about two weeks, her dementia suddenly progressed, especially her inability to read and write, and she became confused and unable to control it. After that, taking the drug did not have the same effect as before. There were two kinds of pills, extended-release and non-extended-release, and I used them for a while, breaking them in half or increasing them to two.




Depas (Etizolam) 0.5mg


-Anti-anxiety drug

A benzodiazepine stabilizer. It was prescribed to me because of its strong side effects, but I did not use it.




Betanis (Mirabegron) 50mg


-Medication for frequent urination and incontinence

I had to go to the bathroom every few minutes and urinated everywhere, even outdoors, so the urologist gave me this medicine. In the end, an X-ray showed no abnormalities in my bladder, and it ended up being a psychological problem. The medicine was useless.




Strattera (atomoxetine) 40mg


-Medication for developmental disorder (ADHD)

My parents and I were suspected of having a developmental disorder, so the doctor gave me this medicine on a trial basis. The side effects were too strong, so I stopped taking it. I took my parents to a clinic specializing in developmental disabilities, but since they were over 65 years old, they were not able to diagnose me (but they said I probably had ADHD as far as the situation was concerned).




Rozerem (Ramelteon) 8mg


-Sleeping pills

No noticeable effect even after using it.




Belsomra (Suvorexant) 15mg


-Sleeping pills

I use it occasionally, but it doesn't seem to lengthen my sleep time. He is noisy during the day, but sleeps at night, unless he uses psychotropic drugs.








I tried each one on its own for a week or ten days, consulted with my doctor, and repeated the process of switching if I didn't see any effect.


The dosage was left up to the doctor to a certain extent, so there were times when I increased the dosage to several to ten times the prescription. Most of the time, it didn't work because there was no change, or on the contrary, they got excited.


When I mix them, I use only a few kinds and not too many at once. After consulting with my doctor, I used supplements to the best of my ability and explored the effects of one or two prescription drugs, or three at the most.


Even so, the hourly waves of mania and depression, the constant talking, the daily excitement, the daily trips to and from the police station, the large and small bowel movements on the street, etc., did not stop, so I stopped using those that did not work and kept only those that did not have side effects.


"Valproic acid was the only drug that temporarily had a visible calming and sedative effect, but at the cost of a short period of time, the core symptoms progressed, and I lost the ability to read and write, and I was even more confused. I don't understand! I don't know!" I became confused.


I don't use Valpro anymore, as it became less effective after the first two weeks, probably due to tolerance.


At the moment, my medication is based on "suppressant, wintamine, and selenese (or risperidone)" with occasional additions of others. The dosage is several times the prescribed amount.


Even at the dementia day care center, the medication has not been effective. Twice a week, four staff members try to distract her, but hospitalization and overnight stays are difficult.






----------------------------

Caution.


I am Japanese. The text is from DeepL automatic translation. Please understand that some parts may be difficult to read.

Comments